Simple humor has potential to boggle numerous minds and trigger endless debates for years on the go! Douglas Adams in his book Hitchhiker’s Guide to Galaxy has defined 42 as the Ultimate answer to every question in the world. The Ultimate Question was later defined as “9 x 6 =?” to demonstrate that there cannot be a single Ultimate answer to every question in the world, there will always be some uncertainty or a mismatch.
Douglas’ reasoning: 42 is a simple number represented as 101010 in binary system. His mirth has triggered many to lose sleep over the significance of the number as many argue 9 X 6 = 42 in base 13.
Interesting points to note:
- Weight of our galaxy is 3 X 10 ^ 42 kilograms.
- There are 42 Laws to the game of Cricket
- The angle at which light reflects off of water to create a rainbow is 42 degrees.
- Two physical constants in the universe are the speed of light and the diameter of a proton. It takes light 10 ^ – 42 seconds to cross the diameter of a proton.
- A barrel holds 42 gallons
- 42 is roughly the age at which man enters mid-life crisis
- Title of a popular song of Coldplay alleged to be alluding to the year 1642….
The endless mysteries behind every number, the most potent numbers are 9 and 13, but the number 42 has attained immortality post Douglas’ fame!!